Honey, I’m home!


We finally have internet again so here is my first update since moving into our new house.

So far we’ve been in the new house for just a little over a week. Getting to this point required more sweat and lost sleep than I expected. On last Thursday which was kind of our first busy day I believe it was over 100 degrees. I think I had to stand in front of a fan after ever other box that I hauled out. By the end of the day I felt like I was going to die. This was just the beginning.

We actually started moving things in a week before. A truck load here and there and at the same time trying to make the place livable. As July 1st got closer and closer our packing and organizational methods got rather frantic. Come Saturday night, the night before we had to be out of the rental, we had so much more to move yet that we weren’t sure how we’d be able to get it all out in time.

Starting at 9am Saturday morning we started another day of packing, loading, driving, unloading, drive back and repeat. Of course it was 99 degrees. Just sitting still you’d sweat, that’s just so wrong! We kept at it all day, never seeming to make any sort of dent in our things. This carried on well into the night. Before I realized it the sun started to come up. When your body sees that it just wants to give up on you and fall into a hot sweaty blob onto the floor and pass out, but we still were not done yet.

Come 10:30am Sunday morning, we finally pulled the last of our things out of the rental house and were officially moved out! Yes, we were up for almost 26 hours moving into the new house. When we got that last load to the house we took out what absolutely needed to be brought in left the rest and passed out hard!

Growing up I remember many nights of staying up for over 24 hours and the sleep you got afterwards seemed to be the best sleep you’ve ever had. The act of just laying down onto your bed or whatever surface served as you’re temporary coma, it was the best feeling in the world. This is what I was looking forward to as I finally laid down on the couch right next to the gentle hum of the window AC unit. Yes! Sleep!

Just two hours later I am awoken by Kumo our dog barking and loud rolls of thunder. As I opened my eyes I hear the AC units go off and watch the lights flicker off. How dare mother nature mess with my desperately needed sleep! As if being fried in her 100+ temps wasn’t enough she had to play one last joke on me. So I sat up to look out the window and it is basically green outside, pouring rain, with the trees violently whipping back and forth in the wind. Yikes! The power came back on for a bit but then went back off and stayed off. The storm did it’s thing and then left leaving millions of people powerless. Thanks a lot!

The house didn’t take long to get uncomfortable, going back to sleep was not even an option at this point. I believe I paced the house until Barry woke up so we could go get a late lunch and eat it really slow in the AC somewhere. By the time we got back the power had been out for 6 hours. I was not looking forward to the 105 degree house. When I opened the truck door the first thing I noticed was that familiar sound of our AC unit doing its thing. Yes, the power is back. I shall get some proper sleep in finally.

Come to find out, we were part of the lucky crowd. Five days after the storm neighborhoods were still without power. With the 100+ temps, I would have died for real.

Even though I’ve moved several times before it seems like this move was the worst for some reason. I think you just quickly forgot how much moving sucks and each time seems like a never-ending ordeal. I am so very happy this move is behind us. Now we can start getting to the really good blog posts!

4 comments for “Honey, I’m home!

  1. Ellen
    11 July, 2012 at 6:28 pm

    Whew! You’re back. I was worried. I thought you fell through a wonky floor. I’d check everyday and think, “Where are the guys? What’s going on?”
    So sorry the weather didn’t cooperate. That Mother Nature can be a stinker sometimes.
    I’m glad you’re in and look forward to more transformation pics.

    • Joe
      13 July, 2012 at 12:02 pm

      Yep, and glad to be back. I felt so naked not being able to update the blog for a couple of weeks.

      Mother nature sure was being a little moody. All moved in now so now we can breath!

  2. Ricky T
    12 July, 2012 at 6:34 am

    I don’t know how you did it, but when you don’t have a choice you somehow dig deep inside and it gets done. The mind has this awesome ability to sometimes forget how really traumatic experiences like these are; maybe you’ll be lucky! I look forward to future posts! You’re to the point that I like to refer to as “the frosting on the cake”! Best of luck!

    • Joe
      13 July, 2012 at 12:04 pm

      I don’t know how I did it either. I do not do well in heat at all! I get flushed and dizzy pretty quick. I hammered through though and we got it done. Whew!

      Did I hear someone say frosting and cake!? :)

Leave a Reply