Change Of Plans

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailfacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

The kitchen is now sitting empty, bare and lonely waiting to be filled with its fancy new look. Unfortunately we’ve run into a little problem in my design idea. Due to the small size of the kitchen the right thing to do would be use white cabinets and then bring in the richness with the flooring and counter. I’ve discovered there is no such thing as white cabinets made from real wood these days. Every “painted” cabinet is now pressed board laminated with some crap called thermofoil. I refuse to put fake wood cabinets in our kitchen. I really don’t understand the point. You spend thousands for a kitchen and once the cabinets start to show wear what is a person suppose to do if they can’t paint or re-finish them. Stupid I tell ya!

Short of getting custom cabinets built it looks like we may have to change plans. Instead of white it looks like we are leaning towards dark cherry cabinets. Going dark is not really the right choice for this space but I hate light stained wood cabinets. I figure we can lighten things up with the counter, lighting and wall colors. There’s always a solution to every problem. I like a good challenge anyway.

I mentioned custom cabinets to Barry as a way to get the white-painted real wood cabinets but the word “custom” set him off an a “god no, those would be expensive” tangent. I haven’t the faintest clue what the difference would be in cost but I’ve heard more than once that often times local custom cabinet builders can come in cheaper or just a bit more than a big box seller. I may have to research this one on my own and see if it’s possible we can still get what I think is the right route to go, white.

If anyone has gone the route of custom vs mass-produced cabinetry I’d love to hear what you ended up with and the cost comparisons.

I’m still holding out for a white kitchen but just in case I had to put my “dark wood kitchen” idea book together for some inspiration.

We were at Lowes picking up windows the other day and decided to let them design a kitchen for us. They had a super slick mission style that I loved but we picked a middle of the road shaker style setup. This was just to get an idea anyway so it didn’t matter much what we picked I guess. I knew cabinets weren’t cheap but I wasn’t prepared to hear the total come to a whopping $6500 for just the cabinets. It’s a good thing we plan on doing this a piece or two at a time. That’s a lot of change at one time.

Photos below show pretty much what our kitchen is going to look like when all is finished. More counter space would be nice but I think this will be a nice little kitchen. Our scanner isn’t working at the moment so I had to take photos with my phone :)

Kitchen Plans

Kitchen Plans

Kitchen Plans

Kitchen Plans

8 comments for “Change Of Plans

1. Ellen
    21 August, 2012 at 5:58 am

We have really, really old wood cabinets and have painted them at least 3 times over the last 34 years. The last time was 2 years ago and I think it was one coat too many for the poor things. My plan is to move before anything has to be done in the future. The cost of new cabinets is not something we want to do at this stage of our lives.
    I think your plan of lightening things up with counters, wall color and flooring will work well if you decide to go with dark cabinets.

• Joe
      24 August, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I think whatever we go with will work and I’ll be happy. For whatever reason I’m stuck on white cabinets.

I just want a kitchen again lol.

2. Jill R.
    21 August, 2012 at 8:18 am

Hi! I know you don’t like the pressed board. HOWEVER….we remodeled our bathroom as you know. We have whitish cabinets. They are pressed board but the quality is beautiful. We paid a little more for them but I don’t forsee any problems. They are showing no signs of wear after 3 years and to me, are still the same as when we put them in. These were custom designed, so I don’t know if that makes a difference in the quality or not. We did pay more for them, I know that!

If you do go the cherry route, I still think that the kitchen would be beautiful! Joe, as you said, counter, backsplash and paint can do so much for a dark color.

Best luck finding the white wood. In thinking about it, white wood might also be a lot of upkeep too. Think about it.

• Joe
      24 August, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Yeah, white would for sure probably be more upkeep. When it’s clean though, it’s clean! My problem is every kitchen “look” that I see and like has white cabinets. I either want to go white or really dark. Guess we’ll see which choice wins hopefully in a couple months.

I just have a thing against fake wood when it comes to something I’ll see everyday. Probably wouldn’t mind it in the bathroom like you have though.

3. Bubbyanne
    21 August, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hey Joe,
    Have you thought about Craigslist?
    You might have a better chance of finding all wood framing and if the doors are ugly they can be replaced.
    Just a thought, I’ve seen some decent stuff.
    These have plywood frame though: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/fuo/3210844084.html

Costco of all places has all wood cabinets. No idea of the cost but another avenue. ;)

I was looking online for kitchen cabinets not too long ago, haven’t bought anything yet) but maybe mail order will help you find what your looking for?
    I dunno if I’m much help really but I do hope you find something you love. :)
    Bubby

• Joe
      24 August, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I check craigslist every once in awhile. The problem is we’d have a mash-up of different cabinets, which actually looks cool if done right but I don’t want to have to search for months for that perfect piece lol.

Costco would be another good choice but we’re doing the kitchen one or two pieces at a time. They’d most likely not have the same line come time to buy more is my guess.

As I was looking on craigslist the other day a local Ready To Assemble dealer post came up. I didn’t even think of that avenue. There’s a dealer not far from us so I think we’ll go check that out and see if they are quality or not, and I believe the have real painted wood cabinets too.

4. Diana
    21 August, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Just a thought,I’d die without a window over my sink…Don’t know if that’s possible where you have it.

• Joe
      24 August, 2012 at 3:42 pm

A sink without a window, well that’s just wrong! I’d die too! Where the sink is going will be right in from of two double hung windows so that’ll be nice. Except for the fact that the windows look at the neighbors house 15 feet away lol.

Add Comment Register